Many, admit it more or less openly, have reservations about flying by plane.
Fears are frequent even in those people with many years in airplanes. The heavens are not a natural environment for humans and fears are multiplied by multiple causes ... We are ready to give some simple advice.
Many kinds of fear
There are people who from the beginning have a real dread to get on a plane and fly. A mixture of intense claustrophobia, anguish and anxiety that makes the work of a specialist essential to overcome the fear of the plane. They are problems, with complex roots, that are externalized and projected through the fear of flying. There are excellent specialists and magnificent courses. The fear of flying, in general, and except in extreme cases, is perfectly surmountable.
The vast majority of people have an "irrational" fear of the airplane caused by multiple causes.
Some reasons claimed by travelers:
- Fatal aircraft accidents seen on TV or other media are remembered.
- Others feel vulnerable when feeling between the clouds.
- They do not understand the technology and operation of the plane and are concerned about any disturbance or noise, turbulence, landing, takeoff, maneuvers ...
- They are concerned about the lack of control over the aircraft in the hands of a pilot who could commit human error.
Some tips and ideas to lose your fear of flying:
1. Consider that pilots are extraordinarily well-prepared professionals, with excellent physical and mental form. They only go up to fly airplanes in the best conditions, even the guarantee that these are fulfilled can lead to delays in the departure of the plane (for example, the need to rest). In general, all the personnel on board are highly qualified professionals in the performance of their duties.
2. The plane is a very safe means of transport. Current technology is very powerful in all aspects that enhance the safety of the flight and passengers. As is known, there are many more car accidents than plane accidents. It is difficult to make mistakes in airspace that is much more decongested than on land highways, where a multitude of vehicle "pilots" (cars, buses, trucks, motorcycles ...) do not reach as high a qualification as that required of pilots .
3. Share the fear. If for any reason you become frightened inside the plane, it may be a good advice to share it with a flight attendant or the flight attendant. They will be able to do something for you to make you feel more comfortable. Don't be afraid to ask or ask for anything.
4. Security features in extreme cases. Keep in mind that there are many safety and rescue resources on the plane. Generally, even your seat can be used in an emergency as a float. There are oxygen masks, doors and platforms prepared for extreme cases.
5.Breathing and Relaxationn. If you are scared when you fly or land, don't look out the airplane window. You may feel worse. There is a bag in case you need it if you feel distressed or dizzy. Try to breathe deeply. A good idea is to practice and monitor the breathing. Especially the abdominal breathing. Also try to practice some relaxation. If you prefer, strike up some kind of conversation with the passenger in the seat next to you or the flight attendant.
6.Company. If you can, try to fly with someone you trust or love. In these circumstances the fear of flying is generally reduced very substantially. Hold his hand when taking off, landing or when turbulence occurs.
7.Pleasant routines. One way to combat fear is to fly frequently and try to design our own routines a bit until we get better used to the plane:
- Leave all your fears and worries off the plane.
- Do not take stimulants before climbing (coffee, etc.)
- Request an aisle seat reservation in advance.
- Greet the crew politely, play a joke with them.
- Put on very comfortable clothes
- Take very entertaining magazines or books. Listen to music, watch the movie, write letters ...
- Try to talk a bit with other passengers.
- Make an effort to think positively.
- Concentrate on abdominal breathing and do simple relaxation exercises for the feet, thighs, hands, arms, neck, head ...
- Strive to be sympathetic, help the brain to cast off negative thoughts.
- Drink whatever liquids and drinks you feel like.
- Tease the hostesses and crew about their fears, turbulence, etc.
- Tell these tips to those who are afraid, by telling them out loud you will lose your own fear.
- Sense of humor: read this article by García Márquez.
8. Think that life is everywhere, on earth, in the stars, even on the plane. Thinking about life is beautiful and calming. Do you want to tell us about your case? Participate in the Forum fear of flying sharing our experiences will help us.